The Paradox of Choice

Kia ora.

I really enjoy this time of the year, on the eve of Christmas, the gathering of whānau. I love the excitement, the buzz in the air. I suppose it's the sense of magic, magic made by people in the way they show care and consideration towards others. The giving of gifts to others.

I know, I sound very naive and perhaps sheltered from the experiences that many others have at this time of year.

Anyhow, I thought that I'd share the following TedTalk, The paradox of Choice, by the American psychologist Professor Barry Schwartz.

It's very insightful and I think relevant in this modern age.

Schwartz says, "There's no question that some choice is better than none, but it doesn't follow from that that more choice is better than some choice. There's some magical amount. I don't know what it is. I'm pretty confident that we have long since passed the point where options improve our welfare."

It's thoughtful and well delivered. He delivers a compelling argument that is well worth the read. He suggests that "If some of what enables people in our societies to make all of the choices we make were shifted to societies in which people have too few options, not only would those people's lives be improved, but ours would be improved also, ..... Income redistribution will make everyone better off -- not just poor people -- because of how all this excess choice plagues us."

Comments

Popular Posts